The Maritime Transport Sector supervises all maritime transportation activities in Qatar through three key pillars:
Marine Transport Planning and Licensing:
- Enforcing the provisions of the legislations and regulations governing Maritime Transport Affairs;
- Developing the general planning policy for maritime transport processes;
- Conducting necessary studies to plan the construction and development of maritime transport networks in coordination with the relevant authorities;
- Conducting necessary studies to determine licensing requirements;
- Identifying maritime transport service fees;
- Setting the rules and taking the decisions governing maritime transport services;
- Receiving, reviewing and approving license applications submitted by maritime transport service providers;
- Checking the means of maritime transport for compliance with set specifications, in cooperation with relevant authorities;
- Approving sailors' licenses;
- Issuing and renewing certificates of competency and marine licenses and documents for workers on board of Qatari vessels;
- Approving and renewing certificates of non-Qatari shipmasters, deck officers on board, engineers, and communication officers;
- Issuing licenses for foreign vessels operating within Qatari waters; and
- Registering wooden and heritage vessels in coordination with the concerned authorities.
- Registering vessels under international marine transport agreements, issuing certificates thereof, and supervising adherence to domestic and international laws and regulations;
- Collecting, classifying and analyzing data and records of certificates and vessels registered under the Qatari flag;
- Proposing laws and requirements of marine eligibility certificates;
- Supervising work conditions on board of vessels according to applicable laws, in coordination with the competent authorities;
- Inspecting and checking national and foreign vessels, in coordination with the competent authorities;
- Detaining violating and hazardous vessels;
- Proposing necessary measures for the implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code, and providing consultancy for implementation;
- Participating in investigations into marine accidents of civilian and commercial vessels that occur within Qatari waters, and accidents of Qatari vessels abroad;
- Proposing laws, regulations and decisions regarding maritime transport activities, in coordination with the Legal Affairs;
- Verifying the commitment of national companies operating in maritime transport to local legislations and international maritime conventions; and
- Conducting necessary studies for the development of the national fleet to enhance its competitiveness.
Performance Quality of Maritime Transport Services:
- Conducting necessary studies for the development of maritime safety standards, and proposing safety rules and requirements related to vessels;
- Setting and developing technical performance standards of maritime transport activities;
- Overseeing the general performance of licensed maritime agencies and companies;
- Ensuring compliance with general quality standards, requirements and controls of service performance; and
- Examining all types of maritime transportations to ensure their safety.
The Maritime Transport Sector offers a wide range of services for companies and individuals. To make the most of our services, click here.