Emerging ICT Trends in Qatar - the Future is Now
In order to identify and understand the implications of emerging ICT trends, the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (ictQATAR) has developed this white paper to identify these ICT trends and build further awareness among policymakers and decision makers about the opportunities and challenges they offer.
The Ministry has launched a series of roundtables, inviting stakeholders in Qatar with relevant expertise and experience on the particular topic. The roundtables serve not only to validate the findings from the Ministry’s ongoing research and engagements, but also to add insights from other government agencies, private and public organizations, and academia. The Ministry is now publishing a paper describing seven trends identified in the first roundtable session to have a significant impact on the society of Qatar as a whole:
- ICT for Smart Cities
- Social Media
- Cloud Computing
- Big Data
- Digital Convergence
- IPv6 transition
The Ministry is taking action to ensure the benefits of these emerging technologies are realized and maximized, including:
- Initiating projects involving other ministries and government agencies
- Forming cross sector work groups to ensure that policy actions and targets driving the rollout of high-speed broadband are implemented
- Developing information and awareness initiatives to demonstrate to the public the opportunities emerging technologies bring
- Assisting all sectors to adopt and benefit from these technologies
- Addressing the privacy and security concerns associated with the technologies
- Developing a digital media strategy for Qatar
Capitalizing on these technologies will help Qatar build the knowledge-based economy that will secure a prosperous future for Qatar and its people.
To view the white paper, you can visit this link.